Friday, August 16, 2013

Prima Ballerina

Ever since she could talk Makelle has been begging to take dance lessons.  In our family you have to be 4 before you can sign up for activities outside the home.  So she patiently (or not so patiently) awaited her 4th birthday and then assumed she would immediately start dance class.  We didn't realize that most dance studios don't start new classes until the fall.  So then she had to wait another 6 months for a new class to start up.

This week all of her waiting finally culminated with her first ever dance class.  She said she was a little shy at first and I didn't get to stay and watch her, but when I picked her up she came running out of the room with a grin as big as I have ever seen plastered onto her little face and was bursting to tell us all about her experience.


(I think she was just as excited about getting all dressed up in dance clothes as she was about going to dance.  She even insisted on me giving her 'dancer hair.'  Let's just say it took A LOT of gel to make that little walnut-sized bun with her sparse head of hair!)

My favorite was when she told me the teacher didn't teach them any dance moves, they just played games and did fun stuff. She then proceeded to show me her 'fun stuff' and assumed a perfect little dance position as she 'reached for a jar of peanut butter while hoping on one foot, so as not to get jelly from the first piece of bread onto the floor.'  When I pointed this out to her she started giggling and said, "oh, I am dancing!"  What a sweet, little blonde we have!

No comments: