Friday, January 8, 2010

Peas


The saga continues as we discovered that Corbin is also allergic to peas now.

On Christmas Eve he had a slight reaction at dinner and I couldn't figure out what it was... to be honest I thought he was just being a pill because he didn't want to eat his fish, and that he was just crying so hard he made himself throw up.

So I took him upstairs and let him eat some more rice so he wouldn't be hungry and it got worse. That is when I figured maybe he wasn't faking it. But we were really careful to make it without milk or eggs of any kind, so I was thoroughly confused.

Then last night I fed him peas with his dinner and he had a full blown reaction with the hives and difficulty breathing and everything. That is when I made the connection that there were peas in the rice on Christmas Eve and although he has had peas numerous times, that was the first time he had had them since we found out he was allergic to cashews. And technically peas are a legume, with a similar protein structure as nuts.

So there you have it, the cashew allergy is actually bad enough that peas now trigger an immune response as well. Things just keep getting better and better with this kid.

You can't help but love him though, he is such a little trooper to put up with so much hassle.

2 comments:

Kourtney said...

I am so sorry to hear that, it sounds like a nightmare. How are you guys doing? What are you guys up too?

Natalie Sue said...

Oh sheesh. I'm so sorry!!!!