Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Theme Week

The PTA at Corbin's school sponsored a 'Purple Ribbon Week.'  I remember red ribbon weeks from my elementary school days, when we learned about saying No to drugs, but apparently now-a-days the focus is on not bullying.  So in addition to learning about how excluding kids and saying mean things online are forms of being a bully they also encouraged kids to dress up according to various theme days.

Monday was crazy hair day.  Corbin told me he wanted to poke his hair up everywhere.  I told him that was lame and he should do piggy-tails.  He said it would be too embarrassing and everyone would laugh at his funny hair.  I told him that was the whole point and he decided to do it.


(Between the hair, the scrape on his forehead, and the crooked loose tooth, he looked like a total hillbilly!)

So we do his hair all crazy and I go to drop him off at school and we are about a block or two away when he starts to get nervous... 

"Mom, what if you read it wrong and crazy hair day is next Monday?"

"It's today, I promise, they have sent me nothing short of a million reminder notes, phone calls and emails."

We pull up to the school and see kids with colored hair, pig tails, spikes, one girls has balloons worked into her hair, etc.

He gets out of the car and then immediately turns around and gets back in the car and shuts the door, "Mom, this isn't going to work, you are going to have to take me home."

"Um, no.  You have to go to school."

He gets out of the car again, this time takes his hoodie off and wraps it turban style around his head so no one can see his hair.  Then proceeds to stand on the curb next to the car for awhile before getting back in again.

"I can't do it, what am I supposed to do?"

I told him he looked stupid with a hoodie wrapped around his head and that he need to take it off and act confident.  I explained that if he went in acting all nervous and embarrassed it would be awkward and people wouldn't know how to react and he really would be embarrassed.  I explained that instead he should act confident and run in the door and go up to one of his friends and say, "Hey dude, look at my crazy hair!" And then everyone would be excited with you and you'd have them laughing with you, not at you.  He slowly got out of the car again and is standing there, visibly trying to hype himself up so he could go into the school.

Then a car pulls up behind us and one of his good buddies gets out of the car.  Without any hesitation he runs over and tells him almost verbatim everything I just said,

"Hey Jayden, check out my crazy hair!"

I could hear his friend respond, "Cool, look at mine!" and then they ran into the school together.

I am pretty sure that was the greatest lesson that kid has learned in school so far.  While he may not be learning a whole lot in the way of academics he is definitely learning life lessons.

The next day was crazy sock day and this time he happily put on his crazy mummy socks and even picked out a pair of shorts to wear, despite the cold weather, because he wanted everyone to be able to see them.  There was no hesitation getting out of the car this time and he ran into the school without looking back.  He even did a fun pose for me when I asked if I could take a picture of his cool socks.


Seth then starting hoping around trying to mimic Corbin's pose and adamantly stated, "My turn, picture!"


Toddlers are the best people ever!  I will miss the day when we are out of this stage of life and no longer have a two-year-old around at all times.

The last day was wear purple day and since Corbin doesn't own any purple clothes he decided it wouldn't be too embarrassing to ask his little sister if he could borrow her soccer jersey, since soccer wasn't girlie.  I am pretty sure Makelle was beyond excited to have her big brother want something from her and she quickly agreed it would be a great idea.

No comments: