Sunday, February 8, 2009

Asian Night

This afternoon we got together with Harm & Derek and Stacie & Mitch for a themed dinner. We all dressed up in our cool Asian attire and ate yummy Oriental food -- which meant that I didn't have to cook, because Caleb made Bul Gogi (Korean meat) from him mission for us to contribute. I thought it was all pretty good, my favorite thing was Harmony's simple stir fry, but Caleb really enjoyed it.

He misses his Korean food, and I have never been big on cooking Oriental for him, so it was good to try something new and have some fun with it. Our picky little eater even ate the tofu and rice noodles, we of course had to make him eat all the vegetables and he didn't even touch the meat... we'll keep working on it.


I tried to find cool outfits at DI, but nothing would fit over my belly, so in the end Caleb and I borrowed some jackets that my dad had picked up on his mission to Taiwan. Corbin however got to be a modern Asian boy with his slightly too large, bright orange, tie-die, Yu-Gi-Oh tee shirt and extreme hair spikes. He looked pretty sweet! (I didn't get a group picture showing our outfits, so we'll have to get a copy from someone to post later.)


Corbin seemed to like sitting on the floor eating at a little table just his height. However I don't know how those Asians get their kids to sit still during a meal when they can run around so easily between bites. Corbin definitely needs to be strapped into his high chair or at least on a chair where it takes effort to get down. And he was most definitely a fan of Harmony's tiny tea cups, which I think he refilled at least a dozen times, but loved drinking out of!

4 comments:

harmony marie said...

Darn! You beat me to blogging about it first....It was pretty fun!

Caleb said...

Yes! That was my goal!... I'm glad you have pictures, everyone can go to Harmony's blog to see more fun photos. Unfortunately I noticed I had already taken my cool coat off to eat (my mom was apparently smaller than I am when she used to wear it, because I couldn't really move in it) by the time the pictures where taken, but that's okay.

Next time we'll do a Wisconsin/Minnesota night and Derek and I will contribute by fixing some deep-fried stuff on a stick, then we can stand around an open bonfire pit in the backyard. I'll be great! :)

Victoria said...

Sounds yummy! Can you really eat with chop sticks. That would be a great diet plan for me! All the food would slip out of them, if I were using them. Call me about your Mom's birthday this Sunday.

Anonymous said...

You are starting to look just like your mom!!