Monday, February 28, 2011

Happy to You!

Whenever Makelle refers to some one's birthday lately she calls it their "Happy to You!" She seems to have modified the phrase "Happy Birthday to You" and it comes out sounding pretty cute!

Makelle's birthday is coming up on Wednesday and my brother's birthday was last week, so we decided to celebrate with one big family dinner yesterday.

It took her awhile to catch on that it was her special day, but by the end of opening presents and eating cake we caught her saying "Happy to Me!" a couple of times with a huge grin on her face, so I'd say she had fun.

We showed her an old children's cake book and despite my attempts to steer her towards the little cooking set or nursery rhyme themed cakes she got her heart set on a little make-up table she saw. So in the end we let Corbin pick out some pick fabric scraps and little girly make-up pieces and made her her favorite cake.




We also asked her what flavor of cake she wanted and she immediately told us "stawberries," so I made my first angel food cake and we celebrated Makelle's big 2 with strawberry shortcake. It was delicious, although she hardly even ate two bites of it before she wanted to get down and go play with her brother and cousins some more.



She got a lot of fun presents, but I am pretty sure her little baby doll got just as many presents as she did.




Corbin picked out some fabric and we made Makelle and her baby a couple of sets of matching pajama pants. And Grandma Lloyd made her baby a little doll blanket. Let's just say that baby has taken about 12 naps this morning :) and Makelle is still wearing her pajama pants (although we have changed sets of pajamas a couple of times).



Grandma Miller also sent her a cute little Princess dress up outfit, complete with her own pair of high heels. She loves it and immediately got all dolled up, prancing around the house.


We had her do her own little model walk down the hall... I think she may need a bit more practice before she'll be ready for the Paris runways.


So far today we've colored and read her new books, listened to stories on her new radio, put on lots of make-up and played happily for hours.


Corbin has been really nice about playing with her and her new girly toys, but he drew the line at allowing her to give him a make-over. It was pretty funny watching her try to chase him down and paint glittery make-up or apply some lip gloss to him, while he tried to follow the rules and nicely tell her "no thank you."

All in all I'd say she is pretty happy with her haul.

3 comments:

harmony marie said...

This is totally revenge for you not being a girly child you know. It will be interesting to see how she turns out.

Caleb said...

Seriously, what happened?! We are polar opposites! I have no idea where she came from or what I am going to do with her. I really am curious to see if she stays a girly-girl being sandwiched between two boys and having such a tom boyish mom or if it mellows out over time. We'll see, I may have to learn to like girly things though :)

Natalie McKnight said...

Hey Binder, I recently found a picture of a cake that was made for me by you! I laughed my head off. I hope all is well.