Monday, May 3, 2010

Wisdom Teeth


I had my wisdom teeth removed on Thursday.

I opted to not pay the extra $150 to get put under and was quite proud to come home feeling pretty good, all things considered. My appointment went 40 minutes over and the oral surgeon and I were both covered in sweat by the time it was all said and done, because those suckers would NOT come out. He said something about mine being one of the toughest extractions he had ever done... lucky me.

But all in all I was thinking it wasn't that painful, mostly just disgusting that he wanted me to eat 2 hours after wards while my mouth was still dripping blood. Eww. But anyway, I managed.


Then the next morning came and HOLY CRAP! (No, there is no gaze left in there and that is not all poor lighting and shadows on my face, it really was slightly bruised.) My mouth had swollen to 10 times its normal size and despite being told I should be able to manage soft foods like pasta the second day, I couldn't force my teeth together using every ounce of might I possessed (which admittedly wasn't much at that point)--4 days later, who knew you could get sick of pudding, mashed potatoes and milkshakes?

And oh the headache! Apparently having small bones ripped from their sockets in your jaw using nothing but large dental tools and brute force, followed by insane swelling causes massive amounts of pressure to build up in your skull and cause a splitting headache, even while on prescription painkillers. Day 2 was bad.

But what made it all worse was that the kids decided to come down with colds the same day I had them removed so I had sick kids to deal with on top of everything. Luckily my parents live close and were able to help out. Then it was the weekend and Caleb got to wait on three patients all weekend, taking care of us, I think he may have been glad to see the workweek arrive for once :)

Anyway, today is day 4 and I finally managed to get something non-liquid down (yay for mac and cheese--this experience has not been good on my eating habits) so I think I am finally on the mend. All and all... it sucks. (Which you can't do, or you may end up with a dry socket :)

3 comments:

Tyler said...

You look a bit like Makelle with your puffy cheeks there. Reading your description of the process brought back horrible memories.
Don't worry- after about a year you won't even think about it anymore.

Tyler said...

....or like Corbin when we has a mouthful of food that he refuses to eat.

A Farmers Wife said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I remember that.. same thing happened to me and it was absolutely horrible!! At least that part is over with!