Thursday, November 12, 2009

It just keeps getting worse

Today I bought some cashews to put in my Asian meal. Being me, I of course had to open them and eat a couple while I was cooking. Corbin asked if he could have one, so of course I let him. A couple of minutes later we discovered that he is also allergic to cashews.

This actually helps explain things, because while he has never eaten a cashew before, he did eat some peanuts out of a can of mixed nuts once and for some reason threw up and got a little rash shortly after. I couldn't figure it out, because it wasn't a full blown allergic reaction and I know that he does okay with peanuts, but I guess there must have been some cashew oils on the nuts he ate.

I think that being allergic to cashews means there is a good chance he might be allergic to other nuts as well, but I am not sure. So far I know he has eaten almonds, walnuts and peanuts okay. I guess we will just have to be careful with him if he ever tries new nuts now. Oh boy, this kid.

5 comments:

Victoria said...

At least he can eat the good nuts! Yum!

Ashley Miller said...

Bummer about cashews. Those are my favorite. I know Benson is allergic to nuts, but not peanuts or almonds. These Millers and their immune systems...

Jacob Miller said...

:(

Brey, Hillary, Leila & Lydia said...

Hey! Its me! How are you doing? I followed from Natalie's Blog List

Are cashews a tree nut? My neice is allergic to tree nuts- and that also includes using shea butter! weird how allergies are in things you don't know about.

Natalie Sue said...

Oh geez, I'm so sorry. Yeah, I don't know what kind of nut a cashew is, but weird that he can eat a walnut - I think that's a tree nut? Not sure. Good luck! That's so tricky.