Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Real Salt Lake

This weekend we went to a Real Salt Lake game, down in Sandy in their new stadium. It was nice, getting the tickets, not so much.

Like 3 weeks ago, we found a coupon in one of those Happenings books that the elementary school kids sell every year for 50% off the price of tickets. I tried to go online and buy the tickets but it wouldn't accept my coupon. It turns out that is because the coupon is not suppose to be valid at the new stadium, but they had printed a typo on at least the one copy of the coupon that I had, so I ended up having to drive down to their offices in Salt Lake one afternoon and get them to honor the coupon. Meanwhile, Caleb sat at home renewing our hold on these two really good seats left in the section we wanted (the next closest ones where like 10 rows back). They finally take my coupon and ask me what seats I want, so Caleb releases them at home, and he brings up a list of available seats and our good ones are not there. I ask him to double check and he is like no, they aren't there, someone must have bought them. (In the last 2 minutes... seriously?) Anyway, I pick out my crappier seats and he tells me they haven't printed the tickets for Saturday's game yet, but that they will mail them to me.

A few weeks later and the game is now in two days and we still haven't gotten any tickets in the mail. So I call them up again and they can't find me listed anywhere, finally I told them that I had talked to some guy whose name started with a C, and that he would remember me as the girl with the Happenings book coupon. She said there are a couple of guys with names that start with C, but that she'll look into it. Finally she comes back and is like, yep, he remembered, he accidentally marked you down for the wrong date (ah, that's why he claimed my good seats didn't exist), and that they will fix it and have my tickets for me at Will Call.

Saturday night we got to the game and headed over to Will Call, and proceeded to stand in line for 30 minutes. (Apparently they still haven't worked out all the bugs with this being only their second game at the new stadium and there were A LOT of delays.)

But once we got inside, it was great, they actually upgraded our tickets one level for me, and we were able to sit right on the center line, not too far from the field. They scored some awesome goals, which is good because we have been to a couple of their games every season so far, and I think almost every time was either scoreless or the other team scored in the last 2 minutes to win (literally every game).



My favorite thing was watching Corbin. He was really into it and sat there watching the entire first half of the game, and then during halftime everyone around us left to get snacks and he had a hard time. The little girl behind us (maybe 4-years-old) kept waving her popcorn in his face and then pulling it away and sticking it in her mouth as soon as he noticed. She seemed to really enjoy taunting him and her parents didn't seem to care that she was being a brat, so long as she didn't bother them. So I figured we'd splurge and get him an over priced treat from the concession's stand, but it turns out they don't sell a single thing in that stadium that he can eat.

Once he got over that little episode though, he was back to people watching and enjoying staying up past bedtime. His favorite part of the game was when a guy in a giant blow-up hamster ball looking thing, ran over the lion mascot. He also seemed to really like the shuttle bus ride from the parking lot to the stadium. And everyone around him (minus that little girl and the drunkard that almost spilled beer all over Caleb) thought that he was pretty cute in his little Real scarf, I would have to agree.

2 comments:

harmony marie said...

Ahh glad it worked out in the end. Way to be persistent Mindy. . .

Jacob Miller said...

That game was awesome! 2 red cards! What a show!