Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Friends Forever


To be honest, we were a little bit sad when we found out that Makelle was going to be a girl. For some reason I just kept picturing two little boys that would be fairly close in age and grow up to be best friends. Of course now that we have Makelle, I am so glad it worked out the way it did.

You can just tell that Corbin loves her so much, and they have some weird special connection. He treats her 100% like an equal... he doesn't seem to realize that she is only a baby and can't understand him or that she has no desire to play action figures with him or watch movies. He includes her in almost everything he does, and has ever since the day we brought her home.


I thought that this would wear off after a little while, but he loves playing with her and is oblivious to the fact that she doesn't play back. He always asks her for permission before he takes things from her, checks to see what movie she wants to watch, etc. And he somehow comes up with an answer every time... "she wants to watch Robin Hood." "Makelle says she wants to be Maid Marion." "She's all done, she is sharing with me." "Here Makelle, it's your turn now."


It is so neat to watch them together, he adores her and she grins and bears it. I swear you would think she would be crying all the time the way he holds her so awkwardly and such... and if anyone else holds her that way, she does cry, but she seems to know that he is doing it out of love or something and puts up with it without a fuss.


Corbin also tries to impart his wisdom to Makelle. The other day they were playing in the living room and I hear him, "Makelle, you can't put that toy in your mouth, or you will swallow it and have to go to the doctor and take a picture of your belly and he has to get it out, only put food in your mouth Makelle, okay?"


If I remember correctly the day she was born my parents brought Corbin over to the hospital to meet her for the first time. It was late so they only stayed for a few minutes and then took him home to bed. During that time he had been in a phase where he kept waking up a lot in the middle of the night and my mom said that that night he woke up crying and my dad went to check on him and he said, "I miss my mommy and my sister!" Seriously?! How sweet is that?


Corbin has been sick the past day or so and honestly the hardest thing is keeping the two of them apart. Corbin keeps crying and saying he wants to see Makelle and play with her (I have been keeping them in separate rooms). I keep explaining to him that we don't want her to get sick too... so he holds his cough in and staggers out saying, "look Mom, I'm not sick anymore, I'm all better, can I touch Makelle now?" Bless his heart.


He tells me repeatedly throughout the day how much he loves his little sister and I am so grateful for his sweet little spirit... that boy is a handful to raise, but man is he ever worth it. If this continues as I hope, they are always going to have a special bond and he is going to be that overprotective big brother that looks out for her whether she wants him to or not.

2 comments:

Tyler said...

Cute, except for the second to last picture, where the look on her face says "Umm, could you please get this kid off of me."

derek said...

Ahhh, he is a sweet kid. And yes, that photo of him squishing Makelle is pretty hilarious.