Monday, January 19, 2009

My Birthday

Yesterday was my 24th birthday. It ended up being great. Thanks to all the family members and friends that took the time to give me a call and wish me a Happy Birthday, it was fun to hear from everyone.

Since it was Sunday we went to my parents house for dinner with my family and they all got me great gifts, thanks everyone. It was apparently not part of my birthday, but my mom also gave us some cute outfits and blankets she made for our soon to be daughter, which has only gotten me more excited for her to finally get here next month. The best thing was that Caleb got me a new digital camera. Our other one was getting pretty old, in fact my whole family was making fun of it not 2 minutes before I opened the new one. I am excited to have a reliable camera that has a focus feature that will hopefully work more than 50% of the time, unlike the last one. As should many of you, since I often would take multiple pictures of the same thing, since inevitably one would have the colors slightly (or largely) off and/or be really blurry and pixelated. It really was a pretty nice camera, back in the day when we got it, but lets just say technology has come a long way in only a few short years and there are some pretty cool things available now. I am still trying to play with all the buttons and figure things out, but it looks like a good one.

Caleb also said that he would make me a cake, if I would pick out what kind I wanted. I am not a big cake eater (unless it's cheesecake, which is really something else) so I decided (after much mind changing and debate, which nearly drove Caleb crazy) that I wanted an ice cream cake.

I was a little nervous when Caleb pulled out his tool kit, rather than normal kitchen appliances to assemble the cake (typical male cooking techniques I suppose), but it turned out really yummy. First he crushed up a package of oreos (thus the hammer) and mixed them with a 1/4 cup of melted butter. Then poured chocolate fudge over the oreos. (I think the recipe called for this layer to be in the middle of the ice cream, but Caleb determined that putting it on the bottom would be easier and not have any effect on the taste of the final product, so it became a crust instead.) Then you layer on some ice cream, followed by whip cream and top it off with chocolate sauce and a couple decorative oreos. Not only did it look surprisingly good, but it tasted amazing! I was quite impressed, I think it will become one of my new favorite dessert recipes.


Of course Corbin has to be involved in everything I do these days, so he "helped" me blow out my candle.


We gave Corbin a bowl of soy ice cream and a couple of oreos (oddly enough a hyper allergenic child can eat them, cream filling and all, since they contain no actual milk or eggs, lucky for us they are all 100% artificial flavors and other unhealthy substances :) so that he could join in the celebration with us. You can tell from this picture that he is not used to cold or sugary treats.


Another indication that he doesn't eat much sugar came about 40 minutes after he ate his dessert at which point he began running around my mom's house yelling excitedly and literally bouncing off the walls. At one point he started rolling around on the floor, wrapped up in the new baby blanket, I seriously don't know that he has ever been that hyper, you should have seen it.

2 comments:

derek said...

Hooray for potty training we are just waiting for u guys to figure out the tricks of babies and give us tips someday

Anonymous said...

Hi You Guys. I can't believe how your torture your child with Oreos. Who does such a thing? I loved the pictures and commentary, and I'm glad Caleb can even cook (a little). Way to go, son. I'm still in the process of trying to decide what to send for food storage, so give me some suggestions. I'm going to make it a dual birthday gift for both of you, so I guess I have until May (technically speaking). Love you, Mom